National History Day (NHD) is happy to announce the Special Prizes for the 2015 Kenneth E. Behring National History Day Contest (National Contest)! Each year at the National Contest, many organizations generously sponsor Special Prizes that are awarded to the students whose projects best exemplify the prize criteria.
Many of these prizes are topic specific and are intended to reward student achievement beyond the category prizes at the National Contest. It is likely that your topic meets the criteria for one or more Special Prize(s). To see if your entry is eligible for a special prize, browse the complete list on the NHD website here: http://www.nhd.org/SpecialPrizeinfo.htm.
Presenting students with Special Prizes at the National Contest started in 1984. That year six organizations sponsored Special Prizes for Labor History, Naval History, Political History, Women’s History, American Jewish History, and Agricultural History.
In 2015, many organizations that awarded Special Prizes at past National Contests are once again generously awarding students for their work in specific areas of interest. We commend all of our Special Prize sponsors for their ongoing support. THANK YOU!
This year we especially are excited about two new Special Prizes: The White House History prize sponsored by the White House Historical Association and the Corps of Discovery Prize sponsored by The Lewis and Clark Trail Heritage Foundation.
Listed below are the Special Prize sponsors for the 2015 National Contest:
- The Carter G. Woodson Home National Historic Site, National Capital Parks-East
- National Park Service
- American Labor Studies Center
- Naval Historical Foundation
- The National Endowment for the Humanities
- The Civil War Trust
- The Lewis and Clark Trail Heritage Foundation
- The Library of Congress
- George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate, Museum, & Gardens
- Society for History in the Federal Government
- Agricultural History Society
- Lombardo Family
- Ancient Order of Hibernians
- Society for American Baseball Research
- American Bar Association
- Marine Corps Heritage Foundation
- National Archives and Records Administration
- White House Historical Association
- The Coordinating Council for Women in History
- National World War II Museum
For more information about NHD and Special Prizes visit: http://www.nhd.org/SpecialPrizeinfo.htm.